Now I REALLY live with a lot of "chics"

Wednesday night, we went to the pumpking patch on Gilbert and Baseline. It was a pretty quick ordeal. We were pretty much in and out. We didn't make a big long night of it and go do all the rides and maze and stuff. We just went to get pumpkins. As we were checking out, we noticed a small coop of baby chickens. They were for sale for $5.00 each. We have been talking about getting chickens for several months now. My parents have chickens, my aunt and uncle have chickens. We just have been waiting for who knows what. We got in the car to leave when Sydnee, Lindsey and I went back in to buy a couple. Yes we bought two baby chics. We figured we could keep them in an old kennel of Mojo's for a while until we can figure out something more permanent. Carli started to get upset that "she" didn't have her own chicken so Jen and I told her that in the morning we would go and get one more so there would be three; one for each of our kids. Jen and I also made a trip to Higley Feed to get some pine shavings, food, waterers, feeders etc. So then we started thinking about where we would build a coop. I drove up to my aunt Wendi's house to talk to her a bit about her birds, and decided I would just put together a chain link coop like she did. Nothing fancy. I then started thinking that as long as we were going to build this big coop, and have 3 chickens, we might as well REALLY get chickens. So I went to Mesa Feeed Barn and bought 7 more. So now we have 10 chickens. I went to Home Depot and got the chain link and stayed out back until about 9:00 putting the coop together. Now we just need to make sure we keep Mojo out of the coop. So for everyone that jokes that we live on a farm, now we really do....

Here are some pictures:



6 comments:

Shawni said...

Congrats on the new pets, guys. We'll know where to come when we need eggs.

Nichole Barney said...

Del I love when you take a on project you dont do anything halfway. I am impressed! Get some cows too! You guys have room! Then we know where to come when we cant get dairy when we are using our year supply. I think it is great seriously!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys- That is so great that you have chicks now! Del you are funny!!! It is kinda of fun being part of the blogging world. We will see how long it lasts?

Melissa said...

I always had chicks and chickens growing up. Del, you need to build a chicken coop and have the girls clean it out...then when they have to clean the house it won't seem so bad. Now I know what you were talking about chickens for.

Scott Simas said...

I am jealous that you have chickens, but not jealous of that thing you call a chicken coop! That thing looks like you bought it off ebay from micheal vicks dog fighting business! It looks like a dog kennel, but whatever, you have chicjkens and i dont! I am glad you are trying to be country and all but you should have asked for advice on how to build the hen house. I know it might be hard to believe but i had like 20 chikens growing up and i had to gather eggs every morning so i do know what a real coop looks like

Anonymous said...

oh how fun, i want little chickens one day too! it makes eating, and getting the eggs from them so much more fun i think.